One of the most important tasks of the 24th Session of the of the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP24) will be to work out and adopt a package of decisions ensuring the full implementation of the Paris Agreement, in accordance with the decisions adopted in Paris (COP21) and in Marrakesh (CMA1.1). Moreover, COP24 will include the so-called Facilitative Dialogue intended to support the implementation of national commitments.
Measures to halt climate change
The measures to halt global warming are generally considered to be some of the most important civilisational challenges and a prerequisite for the implementation of the principles and objectives of sustainable development. The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and its annual Conferences of the Parties (COPs), which constitute the main decision-making body of the Convention, are the most important instrument of international cooperation in the field of tackling the impacts of climate change.
This Roster of Experts will help bring to the Mechanism the wealth of knowledge, expertise, and resources through their networks to help avert, minimize and address loss and damage associated with the adverse effects of climate change.
The purpose of this note is to provide information on the planned activities of the Marrakech Partnership for Global Climate Action (MPGCA) at COP 24, to outline general guidelines to the Thematic Groups for planning, organizing, conducting, and reporting on relevant events and to launch a call for expression of interest to organize roundtables on cross-cutting issues and thematic interlinkages.
The biggest take away is that the GCA team has done away with full high-level thematic days at the COP, instead allotting a few hours to each thematic group to hold an event.
While the agenda is provisional and subject to change, water is currently scheduled for Saturday 8 December, 2018 along with oceans and land use (probably).
Events are to be held consecutively so that we can attend each other’s sessions.
A good suggestion has been made to combine our thematic events into one "natural systems" Day.
This would also demonstrate our good work on integrating these agendas.
Marrakech Partnership COP 24 events:
The plan includes the following events:
· An opening event (press briefing);
· Seven thematic action events, each thematic area has been allocated three hours for a “davos style” moderated panels to showcase initiatives and coalitions, new commitments and any other achievements);
· Roundtables on thematic interlinkages (two roundtables of 90 min for: nexus on water, land use and energy, nexus on transport and oceans and coastal zones);
· Cross-cutting roundtables (two roundtables of 90 min for: climate action and resilience and climate action and finance);
· SDGs roundtables (three roundtables of 90 min for SDG 8 (decent work), SDG 9 (industry and innovation) and SDG 12 (sustainable production and consumption));
· High-level event on Global Climate Action (mandated event of the Champions).
The events are currently scheduled to take place from the end of the first week until the beginning of the second week, in accordance with the attached schedule.
Marrakech Partnership 2018 meetings:
We have checked the appetite and availability for the participation of stakeholders in meetings during this year. Therefore, the plan is:
· Webinar, 5 September, 2pm CEST;
· In-person workshop, 10 and 11 October in Bonn, Germany (tentative dates but soon to be confirmed).